Sunday, January 6, 2013

What-What?! Week of January 6th


First up, our recipe: Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup, via The Pioneer Woman
This has become one of my go-to soup recipes for the winter.  Instead of using crumbled sausage, I usually use Aidells Chicken and Apple sausage, and brown them lightly for some nice flavor.  I leave out the red pepper flakes, and use whatever milk or half-and-half I have sitting around.  Even with substitutions, it has always come out delicious!
The verdict:
  • Husband:  Peter likes it just as much as I do. :)
  • Kids:  The big kids just aren’t in to soups, and they particularly don’t like kale.  I always plan on feeding them something different when I make this.
(photo via The Pioneer Woman)


Item Review:  Bulleit Bourbon
Pete and I picked this bourbon up from Bevmo about a week ago.  Funny enough, the brand is owned by Diageo, the same company that owned the winery Peter worked for eons ago.  It came highly recommended from friends, and is well rated by experts as well.  That said, I’m not sure I like it as much as other bourbons I’ve had.  It has an almost overpowering oaky flavor, probably due to its long aging process.  I’ll be the first to admit that I could just be me, though, as I haven’t had bourbon at all since before Peter and I were married (almost 6 years).
(photo via www.thewhiskeyexchange.com)

Blog: Epbot’s January Art Roundup

Jen over at Epbot just posted this fantastic Art Roundup.  This wrapped Millennium Falcon reminded me of my childhood, stealing my brother’s Star Wars toys, as well as Peter’s experience falling from a bunk bed onto their Millennium Falcon (yeah, what a horrific shame D: ).

The Oswald piece that she posted is a bit frightening to me, rather than cute.  I think it’s the one big eye.  It just looks evil. D:

She posted a great piece by Amy Mebberson, who I know more from her Pocket Princesses series.  While I find that some of her comics are a little derived, there are clever strips, and I do enjoy the idea of the Disney princesses interacting with each other and the funny moments that could ensue.

The one thing that I have to make a dig at, though, is the steampunk Art Nouveau Batgirl, but then I’m just kind of tired of steampunk.  I don’t think this had to be steampunk to do this, and have it be so good.  On the non-steampunk front, I was quite delighted by these Art Nouveau princesses.  They reminded me of quite a few movies that I need to watch with my kids. :)
(photos via Epbot and Pocket Princesses)

News:  Patrick Dempsey buys Tully's Coffee
Patrick Dempsey (who most people know from Grey's Anatomy, but I know from Enchanted) stole Tully's Coffee out from under the likes of Starbucks and BaristaTV, buying the bankrupt company for $9.15 million dollars.  I know I'm very interested to see what he does with the brand, and how it competes against all the other players in the coffee industry.

And now, I leave you with a war that never happened, thanks to Wikipedia.
Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment