Sunday, February 24, 2013

What-What?! Week of February 23rd


So, ordinarily I start working on my blog post about Wednesday of every week.  As I’m starting to write this, it is Saturday.  This week, in my capstone class we had our first major paper due; the history and overview of our client, Monterey Language Services.  This paper was pretty easy, especially in comparison to our next paper, which is the external analysis of the industry and competitors.

The other thing I’ve been working on is my portion of the community scan for my ethics class; I’ve been working on a map of Seaside and Sand City, with all the food pantries and other services highlighted on it.  The result has been pretty horrible; Sand City is one vast swath of nothingness, and Seaside is lacking some pretty basic resources as well.  In the image above, you can see what's there; what you don't see, is that all of Seaside north of Coe Avenue has nothing in it, other than what is at CSUMB.  Mostly it's golf couse, anyway.

Crafts: Paper Dolls
Last night, Saffron asked if we could find some paper dolls to print out for her to play with.  Looking on Google, I found many interesting and horrific ones; there are lots of skanky, big-headed, tiny-waisted, Bratz wannabes.  On the other hand, I did find some steampunk paper dolls, as well as some other historical ones, which is pretty cool considering that I’ve been reading the Felicity Merriman series of American Girl books.  The bestest one I found, though, has got to be the Girl Genius paper doll of Zeetha.  Get a load of all those daggers!


If you’re interested in this or other GG paper dolls, the Foglio’s have a whole page devoted to paper dolls.

Below is the one that I wound up printing out.  I was looking for one that wasn’t colored, because printer ink is expensive.  It was only after I printed this doll out that I realized it's Lucy from the Narnia series.  The website that this is attached to is actually kind of awesome in a geeky, not overly-Christian way.
 
If I wasn’t worried about ink, though, I would’ve printed out these great dolls from the 70s.  I love their clothes!  Particularly that yellow/green dress thing.  I dig those puffy Renaissance sleeves something fierce.


Writing: Tazo’s Redesign

One of my other projects that I’m slowly chugging away at is a paper/infographic critique on Tazo’s recent packaging redesign.  I think the greatest problem they face is that all their teas now look something like Wal-Mart’s Great Value brand.  The new design for the chai tea concentrate mix is particularly bad; it is very difficult to read the text, especially since Tazo opts not to pay high shelving fees, so the product lands on the highest or lowest shelves.  Look for a more complete critique and graphics soon-ish.
Geeky Stuff: Things to Buy
I have spent this week finding things to spend money on.  Don't ask me why, but they have just appeared this week.  Things I have found include an awesome orange/turquoise purse (makes me think of Jen from Epbot), and teacup-shaped muffin cups.  So cute!


Art: Octopus and Crab Art
I spotted this great piece of art while trolling Cracked; there is an artist name on it, but I can't make it out. :(



(images via all the places.)

No comments:

Post a Comment