Sunday, March 10, 2013

What-What?! Week of March 10th

This week hasn’t been good either.  A lot of this week has been nose-to-the-grindstone, just trying to get this external analysis done.  Meanwhile, we’ve had issues with our client, I have had issues with my teammates, I’ve forgotten important projects for my other classes, and so on.


I made these this weekend, using my Kitchenaid mixer.  Delicious!  I actually did not follow this recipe, though I did use the method; I simply used my regular bread recipe, and added cheese.  Next time, I will add cheese at the end of mixing/kneading it, because adding the cheese at the beginning macerated all the cheese into tiny pieces.  I was looking more for chunks of cheese in the bread, which I didn’t get, but it still tasted very strongly of cheddar.

This is an article that criticizes the USDA for partially funding the California Small Farm Conference, which occurs this year on March 10-12 in Fresno, despite having to lay off meat inspectors due to the sequester debacle.  I have a few problems with this; everyone knew that there would be a chance for the two percent spending cuts, however when they made the decision to fund this, I’m not sure sequester was even on the table.  Also, although the article paints a picture of the conference as being all about fine dining and frilliness, it does deal with some important subjects, like food safety,  smart water usage, how to choose crops, and information on new WIC requirements for farmers’ markets.

According to the USDA, the number of farmers’ markets in the United States has increased 49 percent from 2009-2012.  With this increase comes a greater amount of consumers buying produce from small farmers; therefore, it makes sense to foster food safety strategies for these farms.  In addition to this, the increase in farmers’ markets and small farmers benefits the economy, brings in revenue to the state, and encourages local entrepreneurship, especially by minorities.  Is it worth laying off meat inspectors for this?  I am not sure.  However, I think it is a mistake to present this conference as nothing more than wasteful government spending.

Wasting Time:  Princess Celestia as The Stig
I was talking with my husband, and somehow this came up.  So then I made it, when I should have been working on my paper.  It made me happy. :)  Though, I would not go to Google and type in "princess celestia as the stig", because there's fanfic.  I was too scared to look at it, because of Rule 34.  I've already had one Rule 34 experience while looking up pictures of the Stig. xP

See you next week!
(images via The Frugal Girl and the California Small Farm Conference)

No comments:

Post a Comment