Sunday, April 14, 2013

What-What?! Week of April 14th


This week has actually been busy, on account of having the internal analysis due, as well as a bunch of assignments due for another class (those ones involve watching videos, which I hate; reading an article is so much easier with children around).  Apparently, I now have a subscription to the Wall Street Journal; I don’t know if I signed up for a promo subscription, or if someone gifted it to me, or what.  I never received anything in the mail about it, but it is definitely coming to my apartment (it’s been stuck in the plumbing directly underneath my apartment number).  I like reading the WSJ, though, so that’s cool.  Today, we’ll be visiting the San Jose Fantasy Faire, which I have high hopes for, especially given that it looks more kid-oriented than the RenFaire in Casa de Fruita.  It’s also way cheaper, so even if it turns out to be a bust, we’re not out as much money.
 
News:  Steampunk Advertisement in WSJ, via the WSJ paper edition

I don’t normally look at the ads in the WSJ very closely, because it’s usually fancy cars, watches, jewelry, or financial planning services that I cannot afford nor have desire for.  But this one caught my eye, on account of the steampunk "foresight goggles".  The only thing that really puzzles me about this, is location appropriate for their target market?  If this company is trying to get younger customers, then the ad itself is fine, but is the Wall Street Journal the most appropriate place for this?  According to a source I found (which I can't seem to find the link to now...?), the median age of readership for the WSJ is 45.4, so half their readers are younger than that, which is more like it.  However, it seems to me that Invesco hasn’t invested much into online advertising, which would tap better into a younger market.


Okay, so Kate Upton is probably best known for her cover of Sports Illustrated, in which she wore a pair of undies and a coat.  But, I am in love with the kind of British explorer vintage quality of this latest shoot, the Bazaar Animal Collection.  My favorite piece is the dress/coat combination shown above, which is by Christian Dior; it’s got some nice draping around her hips, all the while avoiding being a bustle.  I liked the combination of textures created with the wool coats, cotton dresses, and silk coordinates.  Also, those big soft curls in Kate Upton’s hair are just beautiful.


After seeing this on clearance at Safeway, I picked it up to try; I am a sucker for blueberry preserves, but more so a sucker for jams and jellies made without corn syrup.  I grew up on my mother’s homemade jams, and eating anything made with corn syrup tastes wrong.
The ingredients are:
  • Blueberries
  • Fruit juice concentrate (apple, grape)
  • Fruit pectin
  • Lemon juice.
Generally speaking, this brand is expensive, about $4-5 for a 10 ounce bottle.  The flavor is fantastic, sweet without being cloying, with a nice mix of whole berries and jelly.  If I find it on clearance again, I will be stocking up.  If you are looking for something similar, but less expensive, I suggest trying the Welch’s Naturals strawberry or grape jellies, which have similar ingredients, though it is much sweeter.

'Til next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment