Saturday, May 11, 2013

What-What?! Week of May 12th

This week, I will be graduating.  Thursday I have my final business strategy presentation, which should be very good.  I have been pretty pleased with our results and I think that our findings and recommendations are convincing.  I’ve spent almost everyday this week going to school to prepare, and I expect this next week will be the same.  This past Monday, my husband took my middle child and had his hair cut for the first time – it is very odd still, seeing him with short hair after having it long for his entire life.  It’s good, though; the baby isn’t pulling his hair anymore, and it’s a lot easier to keep ice cream out of it, too.   I went grocery shopping yesterday, and managed to forget a bunch of stuff.  Now I have to go back if I want to cook anything interesting this next week.  Sigh. :P

Cooking:  Saint Stephen’s Day Pie
This is a variation of cottage or shepherd’s pie, only using ham instead of beef or lamb.  Peter and I thought this was delicious, though I think that it needed a little extra something; Peter suggested mushrooms, which would be a great addition.

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cup Diced ham
  • 1/4 – 1/2 Head of cabbage, chopped
  • 1/4 Onion, chopped
  • 1 large Carrot, chopped
  • 1 small can Chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons Flour
  • 1-1/2 to 2 cups Mashed potatoes (about 4 servings)
  • 1/4 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
  • A few tablespoons Oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In an oven-safe skillet, sauté the cabbage, onion and carrot until almost cooked through, then add ham until hot throughout.  Stir in flour and let cook 1 minute, then add half the chicken stock.  At this point, if you’d prefer looser gravy, add more chicken stock.  Top it with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake for 30-45 minutes, until top is browned.


This is pretty awesome; the Medieval town of Dunwich was previously nearly as large as the current City of London, but was slowly swept out to sea after a series of storms.  It now lays covered by 10 to 30 feet of muddy water, which is why it hadn’t been investigated sooner.  It fascinates me to read news like this, as ruins and history is one of my personal interests.  Head over to LiveScience for more pictures.
 

Food Review:  Kirkland Signature Chewy Granola Bars – Chocolate Variety

 
I picked these up at Costco the other day, because I like to feed the kids granola bars for snacks on days when we get home late or there isn’t a lot of time.  In comparison to Quaker Oats bars, these are made up more of oats and less puffed rice, giving them a chewier, more rustic texture.  The amount of chocolate is just about right, maybe even a bit much.  I think they are good, and prefer the more rustic texture and flavor to Quaker Oats brand granola bars.  I checked out the nutrition statements, and the bars seem about the same, as well as being the same weight.  This box of 80 Kirkland bars was about $8, compared to the Quaker Oats, which were $12 or so for a box of 60.  Overall, delicious and a good value.

That's it for this week.  I'll be so busy this coming week, I don't know how much of a post I'll have.  Happy mother's day everypony! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment