Saturday, July 13, 2013

What-What?! Week of July 14th

I have done a lot of nothing this week – that is, other than driving back and forth to Gilroy.  In the last week, I’ve been four times.  Not that I mind Gilroy, it’s just unusual for me.  Not much by way of freelance work, or sales on eBay, which generally kind of sucks.

We went to Happy Hollow, and had a good time with the kids.  Then we had dinner at Marie Calendar’s, which was not a very good experience – somehow, they managed to make my son’s macaroni and cheese taste odd.  Like a weird, metallic taste.  It made my Gordon Ramsay senses tingle (‘cause I’ve seen enough of those kitchens to think twice about off-tasting food), so we left.  Not sure we’ll be going back.
Oh!  Last week, I updated the key words on my posts, and consolidated the recipe-related ones on the right column.  Now, both you and I can easily find the recipes I review!

Mac & Cheese:  Some Nutrition, Please?
Sometimes, when the husband is gone and the children are misbehaving, I cook something fast and easy for dinner.  Lately, that something has been Kraft Mac & Cheese, which is not the most nutritious food.  So lately, I’ve been working on easy improvements to the nutrition content and flavor, without the bother of making real macaroni and cheese.


Any other ideas?  I know some people suggest adding pureed cauliflower or squash, but I find that it adds an off taste.  One thing that I haven’t tried is adding a bit of nutmeg, which is one spice I add to real macaroni and cheese.

TV:  Jake and the Neverland Pirates

Netflix added more Disney shows, so the kids have been watching Jake and the Neverland pirates – now, understand that I am very picky about children’s shows, because I simply find most of them to be obnoxious.  The current approved list is Kipper, Super Why, Timmy Time, and My Little Ponies.  Jake and the Neverland Pirates is suitably exciting for children, while still managing not to be annoying.  My kids love pirates, so they’re totally into it.  There’s a fair amount of singing in the series, which I enjoy.  The two singing pirates in the series are actually a real pirate band, Captain Bogg and Salty, originating from Portland, Oregon; they have self-produced four albums, which I admittedly have not listened to yet.  Look for a review soon. ;)
(imgs via businessinsider.com, disney.wikia.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment