Sunday, September 1, 2013

What-What?! The Week of September 1st

I had to get a tuberculosis (TB) skin test this week – for my new job with the local YMCA.  Oddly, I’ve gotten them before, and I don’t remember them hurting as much as this one did.  It was also on my left arm (my dominant one) and very annoying.  I had a terrible time finding a place that could do the test, because apparently there’s been a shortage that was just alleviated in May, and medical facilities are still catching up to get stock of the TB testing fluid.

The other exciting thing that happened is that my daughter (almost 6) has started reading a lot more; yesterday when we went to the grocery store, she was reading me streetsigns and my grocery list.  The husband and I have started homeschooling her as well, which has been quite fun.

Cooking: Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Scones

I woke up the other day with these scones in my head, and just had to make them.  These are mildly sweet, and just perfect toasted, with a pat of butter.
  • 3 cups Flour
  • 3/4 cup Brown sugar (up to 1 cup if you like yours a bit sweeter)
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon Baking powder
  • 1 stick Butter
  • 1 cup Milk
Set oven to 400 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, then cut in butter with a pastry cutter, two butter knives, or your fingers.  Stir in milk until a dough forms, then roll onto ungreased cookie sheet, and cut into desired shapes (I do triangles or squares for simplicity).  Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly browned.  Enjoy!


This is one of those interesting things about my generation, which I have actually had personal problems with.  Millenials use phones aplenty – but not for talking on.  They will e-mail, text, or otherwise send a message before physically calling someone and talking with them on the phone.  One interview I had specifically brought up in talking on the phone as a requirement.  My interviewer (the owner of the company) said that he needed someone who was willing and able to talk on the phone; no texting or e-mail.  There have been times that I’ve needed to set up an appointment for an interview, and the company opts to do this through e-mail.  Like the article discusses, this takes three times as long because it’s much more difficult to have that conversation in little bits (“Can you do this date?  What about that time?”), rather than all at once over the phone.  The other problem I’ve had with people my age is when they send several texts when an e-mail or a phone call would be more efficient.  If it hits the third text just asking a question, then a call or e-mail would be better.  When that’s happened, I’ve called or e-mailed my reply – because it was a complicated question with a complicated answer.


Movie Review: The Gamers: Hands of Fate via watchthegamers.com
*POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS*


After four tries, I was finally able to download my copy of Hands of Fate!  The husband and I watched half of it the other day, and so far, it was brilliant.  Cass makes for an excellent protagonist, and honestly after his jerkish actions in the other film, it was kind of nice to watch him take some of it.  The actress who plays the love interest was entertaining, if a bit bothersome; I get that she was suppose to be somewhat abrupt and hostile at first, but sometimes it felt like she was overacting.  The other thing that bothered me is quite insignificant – the makeup was sometimes poorly blended down actors’ necks, which looks funny.  Mind you, this is also a problem I’ve seen in big Hollywood films as well, though not quite to the same extent.  The scenes that occur in Countermay (the fantasy universe) were well done and sometimes quite surreal, what with the being an illustration on a card.  I totally identified with the characters' plight of having real life get in the way of gaming.  Especially in the past few years, that has basically been my life.  Overall, a heartily recommend it, though I would suggest watching the other film for a bit of background first.
Oh!  You can actually see my husband and me in the credits under Kickstarter contributers; we're in there as Thorn Blackhammer and Kanoth the Mighty and Illustrious -- Because if we're going to do something geeky, we're going to go all the way! :D
'Til next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment