Sunday, February 23, 2014

What-What?! Week of February 23rd

I haven't had work this week, which means I've gotten the time to work on other things, like reading, crochet, writing, cooking, and decluttering.  The husband and I have worked pretty hard to get a lot of things listed on eBay, which will hopefully empty out our house a bit over the next few weeks.  Unfortunately, my wrist has slowly started hurting again, which has put a bit of a damper on certain things, like crochet and playing on the computer.

 

News: An Archeologist's Dream:  Exploring Camp Asylum via The State


This is really interesting; a civil war POW camp is set to be developed upon in South Carolina, so a team of archeologists are doing a last-minute excavation to uncover whatever is left behind.  The article linked above tells a pretty good story of how the camp came to be, and on the development of the dig, while this Yahoo! News article talks about what the archeologists are doing right now.  Definitely a good read if you're interested in history.  There are lots of pictures, too, so be sure to take a look.

Cooking:  Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies

I wanted cookies.  But not just any cookies.  What I really wanted was some of my mom's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but there was no way I was going to call her and beg, so I had to make some myself.  I actually hate making regular cookies, because there's switching pans in and out of the oven, cooling racks, and just a lot more dishes to wash than I can be bothered with.  That's why these are bar cookies.  One bowl, one pan, forever and ever, amen.  These are fantastically delicious.  The slight banana taste goes well with the oats and chocolate chips, like a really mild banana bread.

Ingredients
1 stick Butter
1 large ripe Banana
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Sugar
Egg

1 heaping tablespoon Baking Powder
1 cup Oats (rolled or instant)
1 cup Flour
1/4 cup Wheat Germ
1 cup Chocolate Chips
Pinch of Salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper (or wax paper).  Cream the butter and sugars together, then mix in the banana and egg.  Add dry ingredients, and mix until just incorporated.  Spread onto the prepared pan, and bake for 15-17 minutes.  Let cool, then try not to eat it all while cutting.  Makes about 24.

Don't forget to check out my husband's blog; we got a big box set of miniatures this week, which I'm looking forward to painting.

(img via thestate.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment