Sunday, June 29, 2014

What-What?! Week of June 29th

Life here is moving onward.  It feels more normal now, though I still reach for the drawer in the bathroom to get my hairbrush, and I caught myself thinking that I could visit my parents, since we were going to Costco and all.  I've been taking the children down to the local park nearly every day, both to give us something to do, and just to get out of the house and see the sun.  The weather's been good -- a bit like California in the spring, really.

Early this week, the husband and I got our Washington drivers liceneses.  It was surprisingly efficient.  In this state, the drivers licensing and the car registration stuff happens at separate locations; this means that the only issues happening are drivers license related.  To get my Washington DL taken care of took maybe 10 minutes total, from the time I stepped in the door to the time I left.  It was so easy.

Last Sunday, we also attended the Everett farmers' market.  I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but was disappointed nonetheless.  The husband and I will miss the produce and farmers markets in California greatly.  In contrast to the neat rows, and the division between producers (farmers) and purveyers (prepared food vendors), the Everett market was a giant mess.  Its rows went this-a-way and that-a-way, and the produce was all mixed about.  The selection of produce was also pretty small, especially in terms of veggies (I wanted to buy carrots, but found none to buy).

And there were lots of dogs in the market as well.  Not that I dislike dogs, I just don't particularly care for them around my food that much.

News:  Time Stands Still in Locked Off Cave via The Japan Times


This is a fascinating article about the Chauvet Cave in Paris.  Discovered in 1996, the cave holds some of the oldest and best preserved cave paintings in the world, and now stands locked and monitored 24/7, to ensure its longevity.  The article discusses more of the details, as well as the replica cave being built not far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment