Sunday, November 23, 2014

What-What?! Week of November 23rd

Let's do this newspaper style, shall we?

Cheers: It's been warm enough that we could take a layer of blankets off the bed.

Jeers: The baby has gotten used to getting up with me at 6am to work.  Sleeping in on the weekends is but a dream now.

Cheers:  The husband is getting a week and a half off work for the holidays.

Jeers:  Only three days of that time off are paid holidays.  The other 7 days are coming our of his paid time off, or are unpaid.

There you have it, folks.

Cooking:  Cranberry Upside-Down Cake via Martha Stewart

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
I actually cooked something new!  I haven't done a lot of interesting cooking lately because using my kitchen makes me angry.  It is so small, there's no where to put things.  I can't get out my stand mixer.  If I bake something, I have to put the pan on the stove while I mix the ingredients, and if there's something already cooking there, then I have to juggle.  The whole thing just makes me sad.

But I bought a two pound sack of cranberries from the store last week on an impulse.  Two pounds is a lot more than I need to make cranberry sauce, so I had to find other things to make.  I ran into this cake recipe, saw the brilliant red topping, and just had to make it.  I did substitute oil for the butter, because at the time, even room temperature butter was too cold to be beaten with sugar (yes, that's how cold it was in the house).

The cake turned out brilliant.  I didn't quite grease my pan well enough, so the topping was a bit messed up, but it still tasted great.  This was very good with vanilla ice cream next to it.  Some of the reviewers remarked that there wasn't enough batter to properly cover the cake, but I didn't have this problem.  I wouldn't recommend increasing the amount of batter much at all, because then I think it just wouldn't have a good cake to topping ratio.

I've also done a cranberry/pecan version of this dutch baby from Smitten Kitchen, which also turned out beautifully. :)

(img via marthastewart.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment