Saturday, December 13, 2014

What-What?! Week of December 14th

Today, we're celebrating Corwin's birthday!  Kid is very nearly five years old.  We're going to take the kids to the local Bullwinkle's to play games and ride the bumper cars.  Since the boy's birthday falls in the middle of the week, we thought it would be better to celebrate it now.  I'm putting together a Lego-themed cake for him.  I'll make sure to post pictures next week of the festivities. :)

Otherwise, my kids are in full on "Christmas is coming!!!" mode.  The other day, I took Corwin to Target, and they had this one decoration of Santa holding his list of children.  Corey stopped and gasped "The list, Mommy, the list!", then started looking for his own name.  It was adorable.

Last weekend the husband and I took the kids to a Christmas tree farm down in Snohomish.  The drive was very nice, and the first time I've seen real farmland in the six months we've lived here.  The big fields felt very homey.

We had intended to buy a little Christmas tree and put it on the dining table, but the farm didn't have any available.  After a quick punt, the husband and I decided to get a full-sized tree.  Then we went to the store to buy a Christmas tree stand (hur-hur).  The tree is partly decorated, though the kids and I are slowly filling it up with homemade ornaments.  It only took me 6 days to find the tree skirt (why wasn't it with the other Christmas stuff?  No one knows).

Van Vogt Family Farm
While we drove down to Snohomish, we saw a bunch of these barns that had rounded roofs.  I don't recall ever seeing anything like it in California, but there were a lot in this style.  On the fifteen minute drive, I counted five, and that was only after passing one or two.  Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures of them (and came back to town a different route), but I did do some looking as to the historical significance.
Thayer Barn -- Built in 1930's from the Sears & Roebuck barn catalog.
According to History Colorado, this type of roof is called a gothic or round- roof.  This type of barn is designed to optimize the amount of hay that could be stored, and is nationally a pretty unusual design.  Most of the information I could find on this type of barn is, oddly enough, from a Colorado website, but from what I can tell, the same truths apply here.  These barns were generally built with sidewalls pre-WWII, and without sidewalls after.  Every single one that I saw had brick sidewalls and wood roofs, which dates them all back to 1945 or earlier.

There's a nonprofit, the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation, that works with the government and landowners to preserve these historical barns (and other buildings, too).  They have a ton of pictures on their website, and some pretty interesting info, too.

(Photos from preservewashington.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment