Sunday, February 15, 2015

What-What?! Week of February 15th

Happy day after Valentine's Day everyone! :P

The husband and I had a lovely steak dinner at home (first time we've bought beef in months).

Wednesday, Saffron had her first Girl Scouts meeting.  It's a new troop that the leader is forming because the waitlist for a troop was outrageous -- 38 people in Northern Everett alone, not counting any of us in the South end.  Saffron seemed to have fun, and the other adults seem nice enough.  I'm not 100 percent sold on Girl Scouts.  The curriculum activities seem very structured, and the program divides the girls into age groups that don't seem to interact with each other much.  But I've committed myself to sticking it out for a year, unless of course Saffron isn't enjoying it, or something decisively awful happens.

In other news, today is Flag Day in Canada, a holiday declared when they last chose a new flag in 1964.  The National Post has a great article about the process, and the various options that were mailed in.  Some are pretty good, while others are just terrible.  It's an interesting read for sure.

Book Review:  Scoundrels: Star Wars by Timothy Zahn


This story follows Han Solo through an Ocean's 11-type heist adventure.  Rated at 4.3 stars, this book has great reviews on Amazon.  But... I don't know.  There's nothing wrong with this book; the characters are lively and interact well, it's well integrated into the Star Wars universe, and the plot is good.  I didn't dislike it, not at all.  But I was expecting the book to be a Han Solo and Chewbacca show, with Lando thrown in for good measure -- it wasn't.  I was expecting this to be a fast paced romp, like many other Zahn books -- it wasn't.  With those two reservations put aside, it was quite enjoyable.  Like I said, the plot is good, though the pacing is sometimes slow.  The ensemble cast is filled with interesting, nuanced characters, who have believable interactions.  The antagonists are intimidating and powerful.  There is a twist at the end that would have been better either left out or integrated better with some of the other behind-the-scenes events.  I was disappointed that there wasn't more done with certain characters.  I do think this is a 4-star book, but not quite to my taste.

Oh!  My middle son has started getting into Star Wars, and was very interested in this book.  At one point, he begged me to read it to him.  He sat on my bed with me and listened to me read for a good 45 minutes.  This is a kid who can't sit still for a 20 minute TV show.  I was impressed.  I read it to him a few more times, too, which makes me think that I need to find some more Star Wars books to read. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment