Sunday, December 27, 2015

What-What?! Week of December 27th

Happy holidays everyone!

Our first Christmas in our own house!  Yeah! :D

I have a million pictures.

Playing MarioKart with the family.  Ozzy is actually gunning for the husband here.
Early on Christmas Eve, we had the barest breath of snow.  The kids woke us up yelling "It's snowing, it's snowing!".  They were quite disappointed when it stopped.  But not too disappointed -- we played board games and videogames, and had a pancake dinner.

We had about a million presents this year (and we especially appreciate that our families out of state sent us so much!).

So, I have no pictures of children unwrapping presents, because it just didn't happen.  Would have been blurry anyway. :P

The kids played with their newly-gotten Legos extensively, though:
Corey and Daddy building Minecraft Legos.

Osric taking a break from building in order to savagely rip the head off his skeleton guy.

Saffron building a bed and accessories for her Lego girls.

Saffron is already on chapter two of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows!  You can also see the hand-painted bookmark that my brother made for her... more pictures of that next week, since all the photos I have of it right now are rubbish.


I got Corwin a Minecraft shirt, because how could I not?
My sister got the husband a Dorkness Rising shirt.  Which is awesome.

And she got me a Kiki's Delivery Service shirt, featuring Jiji.  Looking at the Wikipedia page, I have just found out that it is based on a novel.  Might have to pick up one now...

And she also gave us a squirrel bathmat, which is adorable.  My mother actually specifically asked for a picture of this after I told her about it over the phone. :B

And my husband got me some My Little Pony books... which is so nerdy.  I will talk about these more in another blog post.

Not shown is all the cooking things my parents sent us.  The husband used the chef's knife to carve our Christmas roast, and it was like going through butter.  Nice to have a sharp knife.  They also gave us some Bobby Flay dishtowels, which have a really nice texture to them.

Christmas Dinner

And as I've just mentioned, we had FOOD!  I didn't take any pictures of it, because we just ate it.  I don't think any of it was really too photogenic, though, except for maybe the Yorkshire pudding straight out of the oven (all puffed up!).  We had a beef roast, Yorkshire pudding, mushroom gravy, and cranberry sauce that was too tart for mere mortals (Saffron and I still liked it).  It was all delicious, and a nice change of pace, considering we haven't had a proper beef roast in quite a while.

For dessert, I made chocolate pudding pie, peach pie, and maple pecan pie.  The chocolate pudding and peach pies were nothing particularly special, though good all the same.  Next time I make peach pie I'm going to do a crumble topping instead of a pastry top, because it'll add some variation in texture.

The maple pecan pie is one I haven't made before -- I don't make traditional pecan pie because the recipe always includes corn syrup, which I don't keep in the house and can't be bothered to buy just to use once or twice a year.  I followed the recipe exactly, and it came out looking like a pecan pie.  The very top of the pie formed something close to a pecan brittle, which gave a nice crunch to offset the maple custard.  Overall, the flavors were very good, though it could do with a bit of help -- the recipe is a bit soupy.  The maple syrup/brown sugar combination actually soaked into the pie crust, which fused it to the pie plate.  We haven't been able to pull even one nice looking piece out of the pan.  I think maybe even just a tablespoon or two of extra cornstarch or flour would fix the problem.  Other than that, I was very pleased.  This is one that I will definitely make again!

No comments:

Post a Comment