Sunday, March 23, 2014

What-What?! Week of March 23rd

Tuesday, we got Disney's Frozen on DVD, and have since watched it about a million times.  I took the kids to the store yesterday, and every time we saw something Frozen-related (which was often), the baby started saying "Elsa, Elsa!".  Both the big kids want to dress up as Elsa for Halloween.  We have another six months, though, so we'll see what they say when we get there. :P

I spent most of my week working on my White Horses of England article.  I came across the phenomena accidently while surfing on Stumbleupon, and I just can't get over how common they are in England -- they currently have 16 of them, in a country that's not all that larger than California.  We don't have stuff like that here.  The stories about each of the horses are interesting, though some of the horses' histories lie in mystery.  Check out my article for pictures and more information, and the sources if you feel like spending hours and hours reading, like I did. ;D

Nifty Stuff:  Engraved Rolling Pins via Etsy

These are just cool.  Rolling pins that have been laser engraved with various patterns, including geometric, animals, and even messages like "Merry Christmas" or "Made by...".  I'm most partial to the jumping foxes, but the geometric ones are also pretty cool.  I bet these would be great for pie crusts and sugar cookies.  Too bad they cost around $50, plus $15 shipping to the U.S. (the artist is located in Poland).

Crafts:  Paper Butterflies via While Wearing Heels


Thursday was the first day of Spring, so the kids and I celebrated by making butterflies.  We've had unseasonably warm weather here recently, and we've already been seeing butterflies and ladybugs around.  As you can see in the video above, the butterflies have slits cut in them, so you can use them as a finger puppet.  Unlike the originals, we did ours simply out of paper and crayons.

No comments:

Post a Comment