Sunday, February 17, 2013

What-What?! Week of February 17th


Many, many things happened this week.  Happily, most of them were okay. :)
We took the kids to the the state beach in Marina, which didn't go very well; it was quite windy, and it is not okay to go wading at that beach (there are signs).  So, we walked on the sand, picked up a few seashells, then left.  My daughter was scared of the surf, and the sand (it was "slippery"), and was generally miserable.  The other kids enjoyed it, though.
Then we went to REI, which is one of those stores where it is easy to spend money.  I saw these boots in the store, and Peter wound up ordering them online later that day.  They are very comfy:

Holiday: Valentine's Day
For Valentine’s Day this year, Peter got me a bunch of stuff from Think Geek, including a math T-shirt, TARDIS socks, a Firefly sticker for the car, and chocolate dice.
 

 
This week, I made some quick pork stir fry; I used some sliced pork, a steamer bag of asian vegetables, and Ree Drummond’s sauce from her Simple Sesame Noodles recipe.  I put it together in maybe 15 minutes, start to finish.  Though the rest of it was good, the sauce is the star of the meal.  It has become my go-to sauce for everything asian, because it is quick to put together, goes with everything, and is very friendly to eyeballing amounts.  For most things, I generally add some flour or cornstarch to thicken it up a bit.  I highly recommend this sauce recipe!


 
These are brilliant!  While I knew that they existed before, I had never realized how easy and fast it was to put them up.  Whenever Pete and I get a house, I’m totally doing this; I especially love the circles in circles one.

Video:  Life after Death by PowerPoint

We watched this in my capstone class this week; it deftly demonstrates all the different ways to screw up a PowerPoint.

On a serious note, whenever I create a PowerPoint, I cannot help but think of the article I read a few years ago, “We Have Met the Enemyand He is PowerPoint”.  My favorite quote: “Commanders say that behind all the PowerPoint jokes are serious concerns that the program stifles discussion, critical thinking and thoughtful decision-making”.  Graduating from business school now, I see this.  I see a lot of students that use PowerPoint as a crutch, dazzling audiences with prettiness, rather than actual substance or thought.  Last semester, I was in a group with a girl who’s strategy to get an “A” depended on just that.  It was disheartening, to say the least.

Anyway, on to the vid!


 
See you next week. :)
(Photos via The Pioneer Woman, Think Geek; vid from YouTubez).

No comments:

Post a Comment